Friday 3 April 2015

A-Levels Are Messed Up

Right here we go, let the rant begin

What is an A Level (just a little heads up for those of you who might not know)
'The traditional qualifications offered by schools and colleges for 16-19 year olds. They’re highly valued by universities and employers and focus on academic subjects'

What is wrong with the A-Level examination system? Now this is not me exaggerating, it is MESSED UP.

1. It causes way too much stress than is needed
2. It isn't about your knowledge, it's about how you write down your knowledge
3. Most people take 3/4 subjects of their own preference and by the end of the two years you pretty much hate them
4. No matter how much effort you put in, you still end up with pretty average grades

Okay I understand that this may be my opinion and others may have had a different experience, but please let me know if anyone reading this is having the same issues as me!

The idea for this post stemmed from me receiving my latest school report yesterday, I currently take three A-Levels (Maths, Geography and Product Design) and I am preparing for my final exams in May and June. I am in no way complaining about my report, because it was actually really good and I was happy with that, the thing I am complaining about is the fact that all of my subject teachers wrote about how much effort I am putting into the work and how I am dedicated and committed to the subject. Yet here is the messed up part, I am still getting C's and D's.

How does that work?!?

I'm not saying that C's and D's are bad grades, its just that with the amount of work I put into both my lessons and extra work out side of school, It really doesn't make sense.

I took 12 different subjects at GCSE and achieved A's and B's which I worked hard for, yet at A Level I am doing triple the amount of work for Three subjects and I am still at a C grade?

Where is the logic?!?

The second point I made is the one thing that irritates me the most about the world of A-Levels, I find this happens particularly in Geography.  Last year I sat my AS Geography paper and without sounding big headed I was well prepared for the exam, I understood the whole course and was confident with my knowledge. By the time I had received my results in August, it was safe to say I was pretty shocked, I got an E.
Now this would be fine, if I didn't love Geography and want to go and study it at University. I spoke with my teachers and it turns out my knowledge for the exam was fine, it was just how I wrote the answer to the questions they were asking that made my grade lower.

So you're telling me..that even though I know the answer to a question. If I write it in a different way to what you want..the answer is wrong?!?! Makes sense yep

I am slowly but surely starting to lose the will to live with A Levels at the moment, but I know I've only got a few months now until my time at school is over so I've got to persevere with them and get on with it.


Please let me know if anyone else is having the same issues as me!

Thank you so much for reading and as always comments and suggestions are always welcomed! Until next time, Adios Amigos! 

Beth x





No comments:

Post a Comment