Wednesday 7 January 2015

2014 ~ Let's Summarize

Currently sat, on my sofa. Watching the UK Top 40 Music hits, suffering severely from (a quite frankly disgusting) cold. Lets hope that everyone reading this is having a better time than me right now! Not that I'm feeling sorry for myself or anything....

Okay, enough with the complaints now, this is going to be a super heartfelt post as I reflect on some of my highlights of 2014. I made a super cute video of some of my photo highlights

It's been said a million times and hopefully if all my plans go right, I will be saying the same next year. But 2014 for me has honestly been such a step forward for me and I've had some incredible and completely life changing moments, which will be intended into my memory for years to come.

Sierra Leone Charity Work ~ April '14

I think for me, the most obvious and incredible experience of 2014, was back in April when I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel over to Sierra Leone (West African Country) to carry out charity work with a charity called Project 3580. I have wrote a blog post around the whole trip which contains some of my favourite photos, which you can read here if you haven't already. 

As well as the obvious impacts of this on my life, I also formed the most incredible friendships with not only those people living out there (who I am still in regular contact with) but also with those people from this country who also went over there. I can honestly say, I don't know where I would be without this group of people and its ridiculous how well we've all bonded as a group and how close we are as friends especially seen as we've only known each other for eight months. I am truly blessed to have made such incredible friendships over the past year, with a group of people who I hope to stay in touch with for many years to come.

 
General Sixth Form Life

Sixth form is one of those things that everyone complains about (including me), I think that is a general thing experienced across the country. One letter, two words, A Levels. Yes, they are incredibly stressful. But being in sixth form for me has opened up so many opportunities and allowed me once again to do things I would not have done previously.


Four Thousand Pounds
In 2014, myself and three other members of my school raised £4 thousand through various fundraising events over a period of months. This was a huge achievement for me and I was lucky enough to see this money being put to good use, redeveloping the church (not only a place of worship, but a communal area and building within the centre of the community) within the refugee camp in Sierra Leone when visiting in April.

Charity Fashion Show...You What? 
Following on from the £4 thousand raised, in December of 2014 I organised a Charity Fashion Show at my school to raise money once again to send out to Sierra Leone. This was one of the most difficult things I did within 2014, but the end result of the show was incredible, and once again on my part was a huge achievement and actually looking back was great fun! I would encourage anyone who has a 'crazy idea' to go ahead with it and do it!



Hello, Holy Man
So, on Friday 19th December, I got one of those surreal oppertunities to meet someone who is remotely famous. This was a man called The Archbishop Of Canterbury, I don't know how many of you will actually know who he is because from what I gather he is more famous within the English church. But for those of you who don't know..here is the Wiki page to give you a bit more of an idea (If you even care, I don't know.) In all honesty, I am not particularly religious, I don't really know what I believe about the whole God thing, which I think is quite funny as I am actually Head Girl of a Cathedral School and attend Cathedral services at least twice every week. But I was still incredibly grateful that I got the chance to meet him and actually have a chat with him.

Integration Of The Upper and Lower Sixth
So the final thing with regards to general sixth form life that I wanted to talk about was the introduction of the Lower Sixth back in September 2014. My sixth form has always been incredibly small, to be precise we have 28 members currently, that is both the Upper and Lower combined. So a Sixth Form is generally made up of 17 and 18 year old's, in our school we have a sixth form building and so the 28 of us spend almost all day, every day with each other. I will make a confession, I really wasn't looking forward to the new Lower Sixth coming into the Sixth Form and there is always the worry that personalities will clash and people won't get on. But this did not happen, obviously there have been small clashes between people over the past few months but on the whole, everyone has got on really well and I've loved being within the sixth form. We really are like one big if not slightly weird family, sounds really cringe but once again I've made some amazing friends and when I leave school in the Summer I know it's going to be emotional and difficult to leave such an amazing group
of people.


So, I think its fair to say that 2014 for me was an incredible year and one I will look back on and be proud of. I wanted to write this post for two reasons: firstly as possible inspiration for anyone who may be reading this, I hope that at least one of you will be inspired to make 2015 your best year and do things that you possibly have thought about but never had the guts to do. Secondly, I have enjoyed writing this post and looking back on all the things I've done recently. It means in the future I can look back, read this post and personally be grateful for everything I have achieved.

I wanted to end this post today by thanking each and everyone one of you for reading my blog, whether that be the once or if you are a regular visitor. I haven't been writing for very long, less than 3 months infact but already this blog has achieved more than I thought it would. I've had over 900 views since I started and that in my opinion is incredible for a (nearly) 18 year old girl who wanted to share her thoughts and opinions with strangers on the internet!

I know I say this every time but your opinions and comments are always welcome and please if you read this leave a link to your blog below and I will be sure to check it out!

I hope that 2015 is a great year for all of you. x

Love Beth x


5 comments:

  1. The charity work is such a lovely thing to do. Here is hoping 2015 is as great as 2014 for you! x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much for reading, it was honestly incredible and would recommend it to anyone! You too xx

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely post! You looked like you had a wonderful year. I hope this year is just as good for you :)

    alexrichwrites.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you have an awesome 2015 :)

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete