Sunday 25 January 2015

Never Will I Ever Grow Up ~ Unhealthy Addictions

Hi my name is Beth,
                                 I am eighteen years old,
                                                                       And I am a Disney Addict.
I understand that that is an extremely weird post, but I've been thinking about posting something like this for a while, I've been planning it in my little notepad how exactly I wanted to write it and well..here it is. 

Now, I've watched lots of Disney films, as well as having a Four Disk CD and numerous albums saved on Spotify full of songs from the films. But I didn't want to talk about all of them because well, that would be boring. So instead, I've decided to share a few thoughts, quotes and my own opinions on a few of my current Disney obsessions....Enjoy....

1. Pocahontas

‘You think the only people, are the people who look and think like you. But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you’ll learn things you never knew, you never knew.’
Pocahontas reinforced the fact that everyone is the same, racism and generally not accepting those who are different from yourself is wrong.

If you actually listen to the words of the song ‘Colours of the Wind’ they’re extremely powerful and meaningful, it’s actually quite beautiful and a life lesson for all of us. 

I actually made someone I know listen to this song because he is incredibly unaccepting of others who aren't like him.
I sat him down and played the song, whilst saying  'you hear this...do you hear this? take it in, accept it and listen. This applies to you.' From that point on, I realised I had become slightly obsessed with Disney and should probably calm it down, also I managed to make myself look like a complete weirdo in front of many of my friends.

2. Tangled
‘This is just part of growing up. A little adventure. A little rebellion.’
Tangled taught me your parents aren’t always right. Although, this does not mean you should stop listening to them.

Rebellion can be great, you just need to work out exactly what level of rebellion that is. Sometimes rebellion is taken too far and at that point it is not great. But a little rebellion here and there is healthy.

Also that short hair can look just as awesome as long hair.

I haven't seen Tangled that many times, but the first time I watched it a few months ago I fell in love with it. It's got such a great story line and is a twist on the traditional story of Rapunzel. It's also actually really funny, I genuinely laughed at a lot of the film.

3. The Little Mermaid

'Listen to me. The human world, it's a mess.'
I think this Disney film was a winner from the start, firstly I am completely in love with the sea and the ocean anyway. So a film all about life under the sea was awesome, also it involves Mermaids and a talking/singing Jamaican crab. What more could you want?

Also the fact is this awesome crab sang the bestest song ever, whilst confirming the fact that the human world is a mess. Which it is. But yes the song...under the sea. Well. Wow, that song is incredible. I think the majority of people will agree with me when I say that whenever I hear it, I can't help smiling and singing along!

I think another important thing to take away from The Little Mermaid is this, your voice is your most prized possession. Don't let anyone take it away from you. Obviously in the film Ariel learnt this by physically getting her voice taken, but for me and you reading this, I believe this should be taken slightly differently. Everyone has a voice, everyone has opinions, you should in no way be made to feel like you can't speak or say what you truly mean or feel. No one should be silenced and I encourage people to speak out for what they believe in.

So, if you managed to continue reading this far down, thank you! I know this is a slightly random post and different from many of my others, but I seriously love Disney and there is a lot to be learnt from the films. These are just a few of my own ideas but if you really think about it, you'll realise that the background and ideas behind some of the best loved films are really not what they first seem.

Love Beth x

1 comment:

  1. Hey Beth! I nominated you for the Liebsters award!
    Please check out my blog for more information!

    http://alittledoseoflove.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete